Call for Proposals – Feasibility Study for English and Digital for Girls Education (EDGE) in Afghanistan
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan (N.B. due to the current context in Afghanistan, this opportunity is only open to organisations or consultants who currently have on the ground presence in Afghanistan)
Apply by: 30 June 2019
Work to be completed by: 30 August 2019
We are looking for an organisation or consultant to conduct research which will aid programme design for the English and Digital for Girls Education (EDGE) programme in Afghanistan.
EDGE aims to develop adolescent girls’ English and digital skills, helping to address the digital gender divide in the South Asia region. For more information on EDGE see https://www.britishcouncil.org/society/womens-and-girls-empowerment/our-...
The consultancy will give the British Council team a clear perspective of the current educational needs of 13 – 19 year-old girls in Afghanistan, outlining whether the EDGE programme would address these needs, and if so, what the most suitable model for implementation would be, bearing in mind the current context.
Through a combination of field and desk research, present a clearly articulated report which details;
- the current educational landscape and opportunities for girls aged 13 – 19 in Afghanistan and the need/ appetite for the EDGE programme
- an evaluation of the suitability of the current EDGE programme model to the context with possible modifications to make it more suitable
- a review of potential implementation and funding partners conducted with clear evaluation criteria, which will give the project team guidance.
1 Educational landscape
Desk research will give an overall picture of the status of girls’ education in Afghanistan, with a focus on girls aged 13 – 19 in both urban and rural areas of the country. The report will give the up-to-date statistics and background data from credible sources which compare the situation for both boys and girls in the following areas.
2 Digital Landscape
In light of the above research, review the EDGE programme curriculum and assess its applicability to the context in terms of the need for the skills covered in the curriculum
3 The contextual relevance of the current EDGE programme model
The British Council team have identified possible implementation partner organisations who already run community centres or after school clubs. This part of the consultancy would be to evaluate the suitability of these partner organisations against a set of criteria which will be set out in consultation with the British Council team. It will also be applicable for the consultancy to identify other possible organisations working in this sphere and evaluate them on the same criteria.
Through consultations with these organisations, this section of the report would outline for each organisation;
4 The appetite for EDGE amongst potential beneficiaries
In order to test the appetite amongst beneficiaries, wider communities and marginalized stakeholders for the type of intervention that EDGE would involve a small-scale field research would be conducted to understand;
The report should also clearly outline any risks which may be involved in running the programme in Afghanistan with possible ways of mitigating that risk.
Qualifications and experience
- experience of conducting similar reviews and research, preferably in Afghanistan, and with a focus on education.
- Evidence of producing high quality reports written in an accessible but authoritative style, in English.
- Knowledge and understanding of the wider implications of access or lack of access to digital in marginalised communities.
- Knowledge and experience of gender related issues in developing contexts.
How to apply
Interested parties should submit the following by email by 30 June 2019 to Saboor Afghan (Saboor.firstname.lastname@example.org)
- An up-to-date CV / profile of organisation outlining experience in this field.
- A covering letter clearly explaining how you meet the criteria above and how you would approach the project (max 750 words).
- Links to a sample of similar work.
- Details of expected fees.
Questions may be addressed to Saboor Afghan on the below address.
Please note that we can only respond to successful applicants and only within five working days of the application deadline.